Academics are the cornerstone of a Nativity Prep education. The faculty is always mindful that they are preparing their young students to succeed in demanding high school and college programs. Highlights of the academic program include:
- A challenging academic curriculum that includes language arts and reading, mathematics, science, social studies, Spanish, religion, art and music.
- Small, structured classes to foster as much individual attention as possible.
- Regular “focus groups” designed to give students a structured time to get extra academic help.
- Daily individual tutoring.
- Computer classes that utilize Nativity's computer lab to develop the students' basic software/Internet competency and integrate technology-based instruction into their learning.
Frequent parent-teacher conferences ensure that communication is maintained between home and school. Parents are apprised of their son's academic performance and conduct four times every quarter through formal progress reports and report cards. In addition, teachers discuss student performance more frequently on an informal basis over the phone or when parents stop by the school building. All parents know they can call the school at any time to discuss their child's progress. And since parents volunteer their time to the school, informal conversation occurs with some frequency.
At Nativity Prep, the academic progress of students is monitored carefully. Individual tutors are provided for boys who may be struggling in a particular area. Speakers from the larger community, such as businesspersons, police officers, authors and other professionals, are invited to visit the school and address the students. Nativity also seeks to expose students to a variety of experiences outside the school. Regular field trips to the Boston Museum of Science, Freedom Trail,Plimoth Plantation, New England Aquarium, and various theater and art museums form the core of this part of the enrichment program. Each fall the fifth and sixth graders also attend Farm School for three days.